Aug 27, 2014

Do Me a Flavor

So there's four new flavors of Lays this time around. Wasabi Ginger, Cheddar Bacon Mac & Cheese, Mango Salsa and the most curious is of course the Cappuccino flavor.  I really would like to try all of them but I really can't justify buying four large bags of chips just to taste them.  CVS had a BOGO on Lays but they only had the cappuccino and the mango salsa.  So I got em.

In the previous Do Me a Flavor they had Chicken & Waffles, Sriracha and the winning flavor, Cheesy Garlic Bread.  I could more or less guess what the Cheesy Garlic Bread would taste like before even trying them, I had no interest in Sriracha before or after they made it into a chip but I was really excited to try the Chicken & Waffles chips.   One thing I didn't consider was how the flavor of the actual potato chip would taste with a sweet maple syrup flavor.  It was pretty horrible. So this was what I was kind of expecting with the Cappuccino chips.

The cappuccino chip flavoring is pretty much the same flavor extract that's in the cappuccino Jelly Belly jelly beans.  Most artificially flavored things pretty much can be compared to Jelly Belly.  As far as I know they pretty much pioneered the unusually flavored snack product.  So it's natural to see the flavorings pop up here and there.  Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.  I would say the coffee chips are ok.  I'd give them a 6.75 on the Taste-O-Meter.  I'm eating them as I type this.  Imagine eating a cappuccino Jelly Belly and a lightly salted plain Lays potato chip at the same time.

The mango salsa flavor isnt bad.  It's hard to put my finger on.  It's not spicy hot but slightly spicy flavored with a secondary sweetish fruity floral flavor.  I could take or leave these chips.  Really nothing special here.

I'm really curious to try the other two but my prediction is that the bacon mac & cheese will win because, bacon.  The wasabi flavor isn't really something new. They have wasabi Funyuns and other snack products with that flavor already. The ginger might add something more exotic. Anyway, I have a pretty good guess what they'll taste like.  Really tho I think the biggest competition is and will always be Cheddar and Sour Cream Ruffles.  Those things are the bomb dot com.

Gonna start thinking of what could be next year's winner...




No comments: