Jan 3, 2023

Guy Fieri Chili Cook-off Judge Update!

 Remember this?

   I Judged a Chili Cook-Off hosted by Guy Fieri.


Well the Food Network special finally aired last Friday.  It ended up being called Guy's Hometown: From Ferndale to Flavortown.  It was an hour long and goes back and forth from Guy's life growing up in Ferndale and interviews featuring food at the County Fair, feeding first responders and of course the Chili cook-off.   A couple weeks ago I saw a post by The Northcoast Journal announcing that it was going to be on and immediately set my DVR and told all my friends and family.  I knew the chances of being actually on the show was pretty slim but when I got around to watch it on Saturday I was hopeful.   It was an hour long special and for the first 20 or so minutes I watched closely for anything that I remembered or people I recognized.  They kept teasing the chili contest and showed Guy's friends who were celebrity chefs he knew from Diners Drive-In's and Dives.  They showed some of the local county supervisors a few times but still, even in the background I didn't see any glimpse of my stupid sloppy mug.  Then around halfway through the episode they showed the judges room.  The room I couldn't find that and ended up being late.  I got excited because I knew if I was going to get any screen time it would be during this part. Again they talk to the supervisors and the chef judges, and I see a shot of the woman I was sitting next to.  Then guy talks about the distinctly and unusually green colored chili and I hear my voice uttering the line they made me say over and over and then this happened...


I got a close up and they even put my name on screen!  Representing my employer with a vintage Pierson Building Center hat and a little of my band, Dead Drift's logo on my shirt made it onto national TV!  I don't look as stupid as I felt after that whole ordeal that day.  Thanks again to Melissa from The Northcoast Journal for letting me be a part of this.  What a fun and weird experience.  

The full episode is available to rent onYoutube for $1.99 or probably can be found On Demand on your cable service.  Or you can come to my house and watch it on my DVR.  I still haven't finished the whole episode.  haha. 


No comments: