Sep 21, 2013

Finally Finished FRINGE. (contains spoilers)

My dad, who's my authority on good sci-fi had been trying to get me to watch Fringe since it started like 5 years ago.  Given my current state of unemployment I decided to give it a go.  Seasons 1-4 of 5 were on Netflix so I started bingeing it a few months ago.  Bits and pieces here and there.  It's a really good show. I got through season 4 thinking it was the end, but then found out there's a season 5 which of course Netflix didn't have. They teased it last month by accident and I got to see like 4 episodes but then took it down after they realized it wasn't supposed to be out till last week.  So now that I'm finished with this my Dad's going to want me to get hooked on the sci-fi cult sensation Battlestar Galactica. It's always looked stupid to me but he swears its good.  


I just finished the last 3 episodes last night on my phone with headphones on in bed until 2am.  While I am thoroughly happy with the series and was highly entertained, I have to say I was disappointed with the ending. 



SPOILERS BELOW                                                              






Unless I'm remembering it wrong, The big plan was to take the kid through time to the scientists that invented the Observers so that they realise there are better ways to evolve humans and retain emotions so that the Observers are never created, to avoid the invasion. This creates a problem for me.  If the Observers never exist, not only is September not there to save peter from the lake but if you want to really get into it, he also isn't there to distract Walternate from realizing he was successful with the vaccine for peter. 



 So how does all this change the timeline of the lives of everyone on the show?  One thing is certain, Peter and Olivia never meet and have a daughter. Peter would most likely live out his normal timeline in the alternate universe where he was from.  Unless I'm missing something, I dont see how the Super Happy Ending they gave us is possible.  


From the moment Peter and Olivia have the conversation about getting Etta back all I could think of was the problem above.  I was writing an ending in my head where not only are they not reunited with Etta, but Peter dies in the lake and Olivia never meets him. I never considered the moment in the lab when Walternate gets distracted. But if you take into account the butterfly effect and all the things that the original 12 Observers intervened in to change time, who knows what would be different. As we learned from Lost, time travel is a bitch of a thing to write accurately


No comments: