Jun 17, 2022

Humans Are Toast. Robot Overlords Pard XVII

Ok so I know I just posted about this but that's sort of supports my point here.  This shit is not slowing down and it's just getting worse.   This week there was a headline about a Google employee who said it's AI chatbot was alive. 

Last Friday, Post article by Nitasha Tiku revealed that Blake Lemoine, a software engineer working in Google’s Responsible AI organization, had made an astonishing claim: He believed that Google’s chatbot LaMDA was sentient. “I know a person when I talk to it,” Lemoine said. Google had dismissed his claims and, when Lemoine reached out to external experts, put him on paid administrative leave for violating the company’s confidentiality policy.  -Wash. Post

I mentioned this in my last post.  My favorite tech Youtuber MKBHD did a story about DALL-E an AI image generator that's damn good at creating realistic images of just about whatever you ask it to... from thin air.  He shows a few examples but here's one.. he typed in "An elderly kangaroo"  and this is what it created from nothing with just artificial intelligence... 


This is nuts!  While Dall-E is not available to the public, just this week DALL-E's little brother DALL-E MINI is open to the world and it went viral.  It's the same concept but less powerful.  It's images are more cartoon-like.  The other major difference is that unlike it's more robust counterpart you can actually ask it to make images using people's names which is allowed on the big boy for reasons that become obvious once you see some of the results it gives. (watch MKBHD's video linked above) 

 There have been several comical creations with Mini with recognizable blurry blobs of celebrities or popular film and TV characters.  Like you can tell who it's supposed to be but it's no where near a deep-fake.  But even that is impressive.   Here's a few I found searching Twitter for "Dall-e Mini"  you'll see what I mean.  People are getting creative. 



OMG Trap cam Devito

Then just today my local news site had an article about elder abuse and had an illustration of what appeared to be old people in a home in some kind of situation.  It looked suspiciously like a Dall-E mini creating and what do you know? ... it was.  

I mean, this is fun and all but as an illustrator and artist this kind of rubs me the wrong way.  Also, I've seen The Matrix.  I know how this shit ends.  I don't want to be a battery. 

Then I just saw this in my news feed.  An AI bot wrote and performed a Jerry Seinfeld bit.  Impressively might I ad.  Why do we need Jerry when we have Jerry Bot?  This was a legit decent believable Seinfeld joke.  It even got his voice!!  WTF?! 

We're doomed I tell you!!!  DOOMED!!!  

No comments: