Jul 2, 2024

You Don't Cover a Song by the Band You're Playing a Show With.

Question for all my band/musician friends. If you're in a cover band or a tribute band and the band who you cover is playing the same gig, you don't play any of their songs right? This is like an unwritten rule and should never be violated. What is the proper punishment? Shame? Blacklisting?

I ask because I'm watching this dumb show We Are Lady Parts about an all Muslim girl punk band. It's mostly cheese but besides the problem of being in a punk band and still wear a hijab. I mean, oppressive religion is the machine that punk bands should be raging against but I guess like the DIY punk band aspect of it. I digress. Season 2 just dropped and the band gains some popularity to the point there's fans covering their songs. Cool. But then there's a music event they get booked onto and somehow (this should never happen) the fan cover band is playing. First of all, who's booking this show? and second, the cover band is playing right AFTER the original band. The crowd loves the GenZ bullshit tiktok updates to the songs. The 20+ year veteran band member blood inside me is boiling.
Of course the fans don't even care. They love it and have no idea how disrespectful this is.
I dunno what exactly it is, maybe it's generational but why does no one have a problem with shit like this?

Doesn't anyone see how fucked up that is? You can't upstage the headliner. While on tour my band had some really good nights and celebrated a little too hard with the crowd and got some serious shit from the headliner's tour manager for it. You cant even sell merch for less than the headliner. And yes, even tho this cover band is going on after them, Lady Parts IS the headliner in this situation. I wish this didn't bother me so much. I know it's a show and 98% of the time nothing is accurate or realistic in shows like this but god dammit.

It's only like the 2nd episode in so I'm hoping the cover band gets ripped a new one for being so shitty. And what makes it even more shitty is that they haven't been a band long enough to know what they're doing is shitty. The fans don't know shit they're all fucking idiots anyway which is why you need to have respect as a new band. Fuck this pisses me off way more than it should. Get off my lawn. Maybe I should stop watching this crap.

No comments: