May 8, 2024

Succession? Well It Definitely Does Suck.


A couple months ago I watched Succession take all the Emmy's while the other, better shows got to watch them awkwardly juggle their piles of trophies as they walked back to their seats.
Everybody wouldn't shut up about this show so obviously I've never watched a single second of it.......... until now.   I'd put a Spoiler warning but A: you've probably seen this show already and B: you can't spoil a pile of shit. 

Recently Meg has given in and has been watching it while I'm at band practice or while I'm cooking dinner and I'll catch an episode here and there.  It is the biggest show on TV so I'm low-key trying to figure out why. 

The first thing I notice is the shakey camera and wonder why its filmed like The Office. I never heard it was in a mockumentary style and to my surprise, it's not. It's just shitty shaking and zooming for no reason.

You suck, Kendal.
I half watched a couple episodes to get the basic premise.  Then I sit down with my full plate of dinner and we watch what I imagine is the season 1 finale.  Everything is leading up to Kendal trying to take over the company because his dad had a stroke.  We finish the Vote of No Confidence episode and I just end up frustrated and pissed off. 

 Everything is all lined up and he's got all the people ready to vote with him and then... he gets stuck in traffic.  lame.   And then, because the dad's a huge dick head and Kendal is not there no one fights him when he want's to be in the room for the vote because it's against board rules.  For a reason.   And since this motherfucker can melt ice just by looking at it,  everyone chickens out (obviously) and fucks over Kendal.  Everyone gets fired - the end. This was just too stupid and artificially stressful.  I didn't need to see any more.  Let me guess 500 episodes later Cousin Greg ends up being CEO because they were all stuck in traffic in the series finale?

Against my better judgement I sat down and watched another episode while we ate dinner. Guess what happens this time? Kendal was trying to take over the company again but instead of getting stuck in traffic he accidentally kills a catering guy trying to score cocaine. Daddy wins and Kendal has to eat shit. Again. Watched a few more parts of episodes here and there the whole time wondering how this situation is going to end with the dad winning and everyone else (probably Kendal) losing. There's a lot of shit going on but at the core it's pretty predictable and formulaic in that it is Logan Roy (the dad) always coming out on top. He could die and there will be some document they find that screws them all.

Am I judging an entire series based on watching just 3 episodes? Yes. Fuck you, yes. Did I already decide from the trailers that I didn't think I'd like this show and then not watch it? Yes. Did the fact that a show I thought was stupid before I watched it get majorly popular make me hate it even more? Yes. Fuck this show and all of the Emmys it stole from more deserving original content.
(cough- Severance -cough)

No comments: