Aug 25, 2008

Holy fucking weekend

Lets, see. Where to begin. All last week we'd been going to the house to finish painting and do whatever else needed to be done. Meg started law school tho so she wasn't there much. I'd been pulling late nights and not getting sleep so my immune system was weak and I think around Wednesday I started to get a cold. I'm sure a diet consisting of Taco Bell, diet Shasta and chocolate chip cookies didnt help either.

By Thursday, between paint and cleaning chemical fumes, and possibly led paint dust I had a full blown sore throat. Meanwhile, our cat a few weeks ago had started scratching himself in the face from what turns out is an allergic reaction to possibly his food bowl. (Oh by the way, pets are/can be allergic to plastic. just a little FYI that no one ever tells you about.) So on top of the stress of Meg starting school, my physical therapy appointments, my broken lift gate hatch (which I fixed btw) we've got to watch the cat and make sure he doesnt scratch more.

Friday I took the day off to do some final touch ups in the rooms and living/dining room and try to start packing and moving stuff over. In the morning meg notices that the cat's eye is all goopy and he's acting weird so she calls the vet and they say to bring him in and drop him off for the day so the doc can observe him. meg takes him and then goes to school. I check my email and look at ATT.com to see about setting up our service at the new address. I grab my phone and start to walk to the coffee table to call att and I step on something under a piece of clothing. Suddenly the light on the fan turns on. The fan operates by remote so I thought I stepped on it. But then, all the lights go dim and then everything one by one shuts down. The power is out.

I call Att and get our service set up then I drive out to the house. There, I first fix my lift gate hatch, then finish the trim touch up, and put a final coat of paint on the shutters when I get a call from the vet. "Piggy's ready to be picked up". So I drop what I'm doing there and haul ass back to Martinez, where the power is still out. The vets office's power was out too so they couldn't give me a bill, or do anything useful.

I take Piggy home and then drive back out to Pittsburg and finish up some more stuff. Later I meet with meg back at home who's off school. I start to pack some stuff then we decide that we should do more at the house and make it move-in ready. We end up staying out there till 1:00 am or so and then go home, which has been pretty routine now for a few weeks.

Saturday Meg and her mom go to Ikea to get some shelving and storage solutions. They're gone all frickin day! I'm beat to shit and am now full-on sick with a cold or something. But I forge on. I put all the shutters back up, pull up all the plastic sheeting from the floors, sweep etc. I started to install a ceiling fan we bought but it was too hot and I was feeling like ass. I ended up passing out on the hardwood. Just as I fell asleep, Meg and her mom pull up with boxes of Ikea shit, which of course, it being from Ikea, needs to be assembled.

We all spend the rest of the night building a wall's worth of ceiling high shelving and a wardrobe for the bedroom. It's now 2:15am and we finally put down our tools and go home.

We get home and notice Piggy is breathing fast and his eyes are dilated. After some debate, we decide to take him to the emergency vet.

5 hours and $450 deposit later we get home. Piggy had to stay behind for observation. all that night and day is spent waiting. Call at 8:00am, they say we cant tell whats wrong..... call at 12:00 they say, we're still not sure... call at 5:00 they say.. and finally they tell us to pick him up because they cant tell if the excitement of being at the vet is causing his symptoms or not, so let him go home and relax and if he gets worse call. The bill for the vet is pushing $1000 now. Meg is a wreck and is fearful that we wont be able to afford any more treatment depending on what the final diagnosis is. totally sucks.

We got 3 pills to give him throughout the day. I dare you to try giving a cat a pill. His breathing is still a bit labored but his demeanor has definitely improved.

So yesterday I tried to sleep but it was too damn hot. Meg took some pills that knocked her the fuck out but I hate drugs so I toughed it out. I decided to pack the rest of the CD's, DVD's and books into boxes during commercials of the Sunday movie, Predator and The 101 best SNL Moments of all time.

I finally got to sleep after watching Harold and Khumar Escape from Guantanamo Bay. It was fucking off the wall.

This morning we wake up and cant find the cat. We'd blocked off access to under the bed where he likes to hide since we needed to keep an eye on him. so we looked everywhere else but somehow he got through. sneaky cats.

what else? nothing so far, I'm at work typing this. Still tired, still sick and were still not moved in.
Post a Comment